Yesterday these two teams completed one of the biggest trades in WHL history, and tonight they meet on the ice at Credit Union Centre.
Unfortunately for the fans, none of the players traded yesterday will be in the game tonight. (Schenn for Saskatoon, Nikkel + McGauley for Brandon).
That shouldn't stop this game from being very interesting and fun to watch though.
The Blades are coming off two wins in a row, 5-0 over Calgary and 5-1 in Prince Albert. Meanwhile the Wheatkings earned 3 out of 4 points in 2 games this weekend. They beat Calgary 9-2 on Friday night and followed that up with a 3-2 shootout loss in Prince Albert on Saturday.
Here are my keys to the game:
- Capitalize on the powerplay. The Blades PK is climbing in the league rankings, scoring on the powerplay will be huge for Brandon and to make sure they don't miss out on those chances.
- Try and keep it low scoring. Brandon is last in the league on the road, they can’t have this game turn into a run and gun affair.
- And Corbin Boes needs to be big in goal. He doesn’t have to steal a game, he just can’t be the one to lose it.
- Get off to a quick start. Yesterday was a hectic day around here, Saskatoon has to put the big trade distractions in the back of their minds and get in the game early.
- Have a strong performance from the top line. Curtis Hamilton returns tonight for the first time since the World Juniors, and re-unites with his old linemates in Marek Viedensky and Josh Nicholls.
- And stay disciplined. Brandon can beat you on the powerplay, they can’t take careless penalties, especially in the offensive zone.
The game goes at 7:05 tonight from CUC. You can also listen live on 92.9 The Bull starting with the pregame show at 6:30.